Go To Search
GovernmentServicesBusinessCome Visit
Click to Home

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
Services offered at Advanced Chemical Transport for Rio Rancho Residents

City of Albuquerque/City of Rio Rancho Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center
City of Rio Rancho residents only may dispose of household hazardous waste at the City of Albuquerque collection center. Materials such as used motor oil, antifreeze, paints, solvents, herbicides and pesticides may be dropped off. Bring proof of Rio Rancho residency such as a picture I.D.

Location: ACT 6137 Edith Blvd. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107

Hours of Operation:
Monday: 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.


Additional Information Regarding Household Hazardous Wastes
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL's)
A CFL bulb is a type of light bulb that screws into a standard light socket, such as a lamp or ceiling light fixture and looks somewhat like an ice cream cone. A CFL bulb has a very small amount of mercury contained in it. Mercury is a hazardous waste and broken CFL's should be cleaned carefully see http://www.health.state.nm.us/eheb/rep/metals/Hg lights.pdf for directions. Unbroken CFL's can be taken to Home Depot and Lowes stores for free disposal.

Motor Oil
Poured down drains or dumped on the ground, motor oil will work its way into our aquifer and eventually your water. It can contain lead, benzene, zinc, and magnesium, which are fine to consume if you are a car, but terrible for the living. Like antifreeze, motor oil can go to American Tire & Service or Jiffy Lube. Make sure the oil is not contaminated with any solvents or materials.

Any time you get new tires, ask the business to dispose of your old ones. It’s easy. It only costs a few dollars, and they will be recycled! You can also bring tires (limit 4 per household per day/passenger vehicle tires only/no rims) to the City of Rio Rancho and Sandoval County Recycling Center.

You can let latex paints dry out and toss them in the garbage; it’s plastic and won’t harm you or the landfill. Oil paints, however, will. They give off toxic fumes that you don’t want to breathe. Bring them to our Household Hazardous Waste collections. If you purchased paint before 1980, chances are its lead-based and hazardous. Also bring these to our Household Hazardous Waste collections.

If you have glue and it’s a toxic kind of glue, then it’s giving off toxic fumes. Many types of glue are also famous for their flammability. Bring all glues to our Household Hazardous Waste collections.

There are many types of batteries, from the lead-acid batteries we use in our cars to the little button batteries in our watches. There are household batteries like AA, AAA, C, D and 9-volt, some rechargeable and some not. The important thing to remember is they all have chemicals inside of them.

Household Batteries (AA, AAA, C, D and 9-Volt)
These standard household batteries have low toxicity so they can be disposed of in your household trash. However older household batteries (older than 1997) contain greater levels of toxins due to the way they were made. These cannot be disposed of in household trash.

Button Batteries
These batteries contain silver, zinc, or other toxins and should be recycled. Try your local Wal-Mart or a Keep Rio Rancho Beautiful Household Hazardous Waste collection.

Rechargeable Batteries (In portable phones, cordless phones, laptops etc...)
These batteries are usually nickel-cadmium (NiCad), lithium ion, or nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH), all metals which can be toxic in the environment, especially Cadmium. Bring these to a Keep Rio Rancho Beautiful Household Hazardous waste collection.

Car Batteries
These batteries are made of lead-acid which is very toxic. If you get your car battery replaced at a service center, they will recycle it for you. If you buy a car battery and install it yourself, the store where you buy it should accept your old battery and take care of getting it to a recycling center for you.

For more information contact the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department at 891-5015.