Go To Search
GovernmentServicesBusinessCome Visit
Click to Home

Domestic Well Program
Domestic Wells are water wells which are available for citizens of Rio Rancho who are not close enough to tie into a City water line as described in the City Ordinance Chapter 53.Domestic Wells have meters, just like City water users; however, their meters are recorded on a yearly basis instead of a monthly basis.In order to apply for a Domestic Well an application must be filled out and submitted to the Environmental Programs Section of the Utilities Operations Division in the Department of Public Works.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Domestic Well Application Process:

1. If you think you may need, or been told you need, a Domestic Well then please follow the steps below.

2. Obtain the UT-UTO-01.06 (E) Domestic Well Packet PDF from our Utility Operations Department Forms page or by clicking the link above.

a. In addition you will need to fill out a PW-UTO-02 (E) Meter Application (attached in the packet) to make the official determination that you need a domestic well.

i. The process for the Meter Application can be found on our Utility Systems Section page.

b. If it is determined that City water is not available then you will need to submit a Permit to Use Underground Waters Form (WR-01)  to the New Mexico State of the Engineer (NMOSE).

i. Please note that the above form, WR-01, is a form from the NMOSE and has its own fees associated with it.

c. You will probably also need to file for a Liquid Waste or Septic Tank Permit.This permit is submitted to and reviewed by the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED).

i. Please note that this program and form above are regulated by the NMED and has its own fees associated with it.

3. The WR-01 from the NMOSE and the Liquid Waste Permit from the NMED, must be approved before continuing to the next step.

4. Once you have your approval from the NMOSE and/or the NMED you will need to fill out the remainder of the Domestic Well Packet.

a. The Domestic Well Packet must be completed and approved before you can build a new home.

b. The packet must also be completed for all new, supplemental, replacement, or reconstructed domestic wells.

5. E-mail, Mail, or Fax the form.

a. E-mail to: with the form name in the subject line.

b. Mail to: Attn: (Form Name)
Utility Operations Department
3200 Civic Center Circle, NE
Rio Rancho, NM 87144

c. For Example:Attn: UT-UTO-01.03 (E) Water Use Audit
Utility Operations Department
3200 Civic Center Circle, NE
Rio Rancho, NM 87144

d. Fax to: (505) 891-5201
i. Please include a cover page, any additional documentation, and a note on how many pages are include in the fax.

6. The application will be reviewed by the Water Programs Coordinator.

7. Please allow 30 days for approval, provided there are no corrections needed.

8. Once the application is approved you will need to get an account deposit slip from the Water Programs Coordinator (located on the second floor of City Hall [3200 Civic Center Circle NE]).  Then you must pay your fee of $200 at the cashier’s cages.

  •  If you have any questions about the process please call: (505) 896-8816.

Adobe Disclaimer: Reading the PDF documents provided on this site requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available for free from Adobe.  Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat, and the Acrobat logo are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.

Contact Us
Julie Hamilton, Water Programs Coordinator
Environmental Programs
Utilities Department


3200 Civic Center Circle NE
Suite 250
Rio Rancho, NM 87124
Ph: 505-896-8715